Waipara River Estate: Our Vision
- use sustainable practices for the oldest vines in Waipara, mostly on their own roots in developing a boutique vineyard
- produce premium quality handcrafted estate grown wines with superb style and elegance
- sustainably improve pastures for grazing
- develop a small number of luxury vineyard accommodation units – Annie’s Loft & Studio.
- establish park-like surroundings as marquee sites for weddings and other celebrations
Michael Peters & Tina Besley – Owners
We are a small family business, managing a boutique vineyard, and B&B accommodation. We believe that wine should be fun and that life is too short to drink bad wine, so we aim to produce stunning, premium quality, estate grown, artisan wine in small batches. Michael is an acclaimed writer and has even written on the philosophy of wine—see Dreams of Dionysus. Tina’s experiences in tourism, sales and marketing are invaluable. Together we form an excellent team.
We are New Zealanders who bought the property in 2007 and have upgraded all aspects – sheds, irrigation, water supply, new vines, new fencing, gates, shelter belts & pastures.
We renovated the old farmhouse which now has two self-contained luxury Bed & Breakfast accommodation units – Annie’s Loft and Studio.
Throughout we are committed to improving the environment by using sustainable practices and going as green as possible. As part of the ‘Greening Waipara’ Project, which aims to improve biodiversity and encourage native birds which do not threaten the grapes, we planted native plants by our irrigation pond and adjacent field.
So come and stay a while and visit the local wineries, cafes, restaurants, wonderful scenery and the Waipara, Amberley and Hurunui District attractions.
Gwyn Williams – Viticulturist
Our viticulturist, Gwyn Williams at Vinecare Ltd, has many years of experience in the Waipara region, having set up the initial plantings and worked at Muddy Waters for 10 years before establishing Vinecare and managing several local vineyards. Gwyn’s experience, skill and advice are invaluable.